1. Getting started
In order to complete the activity for this module you will need to create an account and log in to “Medium”, via the link provided below.
Go to the following URL: www.medium.com
1. Sign in or create an account using your Twitter, Facebook or Google (Gmail) account. If you do not have any of these accounts you will be able to sign up to Medium using any valid email address. You can do this by selecting “sign in or sign up with email”.
When signing in with an email address, you will be prompted to provide your email address.
You will then be sent a confirmation email to your email address. Check your inbox and select the link to verify your email address.
The screenshot below is an example of the Medium confirmation email.
2. Once you have clicked on the link sent to you via email, you will be prompted to finish creating your account. You will need to insert the following details as represented in the screenshot below:
You have now successfully created an account for Medium.
2. Creating your first blog post
Now that you have successfully signed up for Medium, you will be able to start posting on your blog.
1. To start a blog post, go to your home page where you will see a section which prompts you to “write here”. Click on the text box.
2. Once you have selected the text box, you will have the option of typing using a full screen. To do so, simply click the “go full screen” button.
3. You will now be able to start creating your blog post.
4. Once you have completed your blog post, you will need to mention your course’s Medium account before publishing your post. Insert “@UCT-ISM” (or the tag provided for your course) and click on the profile from the drop down menu.
5. Now that you have completed your post, you will now be able to publish it. Click on the “Publish” button and you will need to ensure that you tag your post before publishing it.
6. Add a tag by clicking in the “Add a tag” section and begin typing. Once you have created your tag press the “enter” key on your keyboard to insert tag.
*To ensure that all blog posts for your course is in one easy to find place, we recommend that students add their course specific tag to their posts.
7. You have now completed your first post which should look something like the one below:
You will now be able to create your own unique posts, enjoy!
If you require further assistance please do not hesitate to email us on firstname.lastname@example.org or if you prefer speaking to us, please call us on:
UK: +44 20 3670 1791
US: +1 617 861 4750
Global: +27 21 830 9200